Saturday, April 26, 2008

Words that tickle my fancy…and rub the wrong way


Everyone has those words which make them shudder…or perhaps gag a little. Many we no doubt share; I believe “moist” is a universal “gross word”, along with its friend, “mucous”.

I also wince upon hearing:

  • Crotch – it simply disgusts
  • Bol - as in “What’s up bol?” …apparently synonymous with “bro”…gag gag gag
  • Scabies – worse than scabs AND rabies

There are some words I don’t like, because I don’t like writing them. One such word is “twelfth”. I don’t care about the logic behind the “f” (I get it, I get it), I still hate writing it.

Some words I like to hear:

  • Tarry
  • Haste
  • Amiable
  • Debacle
  • Haberdasher

I like to write the word “definite”. Why? Well, I like this word’s logic. Every letter belongs, and the “logic is undeniable” (name that movie!).

And so, there seems no end more fitting to today’s sharing than to attempt to conceive of a line or two that employ the good nature of these words.

I must make haste to the haberdasher! Although I would love to tarry amongst the amiable company, I fear my laughing so heartily should cause quite a debacle should you see through my splitting side-seams!
Related Posts with Thumbnails