Friday, May 9, 2008

Mother’s Tales and Tactics – The Case of the Broken Oath

My parents went on a second honeymoon of sorts through Europe. I was about nine or ten years old, making Erika 7 or 8, and Mariah 6 or 7. Brandon was in the States by this point, and Jeremy was probably staying at a friend’s house. Mom and Dad had left us in the care of our dear family friends, Ken and Vivien. It was perfect for both couples – Ken and Vivien had just sold a house and were looking for another, and Mom and Dad wanted to make a long-promised trip together. So Ken and Vivien moved into our house for the duration of my parents’ overseas adventure, and that saved them rent costs while they looked for their next home – they’re happy; and my parents had full-time babysitters they trusted – also happy.

What better to do with girls of such an age, than take them to see The Little Mermaid? Plus, I do recall getting into the car afterwards, and Ken had bought more than one 2L tub of icecream, (from Pak‘n’Save – a grocery store my mother refused to shop at), and I was thinking, this is radical!

Little did they or we know, upon my mother’s return, learning of this excursion would require a de-briefing.

The film was released in 1989, and this must have been 1991 or 1992, so my mother had had ample opportunity to take us to this film. The school holidays must have brought with it screenings of previously-released films to occupy the delinquents running free.

My mother had deliberately NOT taken us to see this film when it was released. She proceeded to explain to us girls, “If young ladies disobey rules their father has set, he will not shrug it off and she will not live ‘happily ever after’, still breaking the rule.”

And after a pause, "Also....she's immodest."

She makes an interesting point.

I adore my mother.
Related Posts with Thumbnails