Monday, May 26, 2008

Self-saucing Chocolate Pudding…in the Microwave!

Self-saucing chocolate pudd has always been one of my favourite domicile feats. Always a crowd-pleaser, it also never fails to turn out scandalously good. The other reason I love it, is that the recipe calls for ingredients I always have in storage. Chocolate drops, for example, are NOT always there, so chocolate chip cookies only happen if I plan for them to happen (the chocolate drops seem to disappear...I scratch my head in mock-wonder). So therefore, yet another reason I love this pudding, is that it is a great spontaneous dessert!


Imagine my joy to discover what I already loved, could be produced in a fifth of the time! That’s right, I came upon an adapted, microwaveable version! No doubt I did not find it sooner due to lacking said appliance (what use would I have had for such a discovery without the means?), but since being kindly gifted one (thanks Heather), I feel I am part of a whole new world, a dazzling place I never knew. That is, the world of microwaveable pudding.


Pudding:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa
  • 2 teaspoons melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 2/3 cup milk

Sauce:

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa
  • 2 tablespoons coconut (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons cornflour
  • 2 cups boiling water

Method:

  1. Thoroughly mix together the dry pudding ingredients.
  2. Add wet ingredients, mix well. I vary milk to make sure it looks right. It should look like a very dry cookie dough.
  3. Mix all of the sauce ingredients (bar water) in a separate bowl. Sprinkle all over pudding. If you have not made the traditional Edmonds version, and lack familiarity with the normal appearance of the pudding at this stage, let me reassure you, it is meant to look like it surely won't work. There should be a weird-looking dough laying under a thick layer of powder.
  4. Pour water over a spoon onto the pudding and powder.
  5. Cook on high for 6-7 minutes, checking at 6 minutes.


The only thing to watch for, is that the pudding sits differently to its oven-made cousin, due to the chemistry of microwave cooking. For me, the cake part floats to the top, and is like an island on a sea of sauce. It still bounces back when pressed, but the whole thing can slide around, and still be cooked. It is cakey if you pull it apart, but there is SO much sauce (I varied this recipe when I found it, to make it saucier.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails