Monday, August 11, 2008

AC-HC: Happy Un-anniversary

Tonight I was reading the post of a friend, (I’m yet to meet), in which she took a moment to thank her husband, (whom I have met, it’s not all stalks-ville folks,) for the three years they’ve shared together (so far), it being their anniversary. I thought, “How sweet”.

Then I thought, “I’m jealous – it’s not our anniversary until January! I have to wait until January to take my moment to go all soft and sentimental? What a rip-off!”

Add to this my growing appreciation for Haki’s concern that all of his mentions within my writing, by name, are exclusively jest-filled and fanciful. He’s right, you know, thus far I have painted him thus:

Ha - ki /ˈlʌki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[huhk-ee] – noun,

1. A man employing unusual semantics, repelled by liquorice who is also a stash-stealing, radio-hungry, repeat-playing, lolcat-loving, breadmaking-failure.

– synonyms honey, hon’, husband of mine

– antonyms bro, bol’, cuz

Basically, I want to take some time to show you he’s more than this:

So, allow me to redefine this husband of mine through sharing 5 things (and two thirds) that make Haki, Haki – one for each year we’ve been married (and two thirds). Plus, they all start with “H”, making the list even cooler! (Hush, you cheap seat-sitters, it’s all about what one calls “cool”.)





1. He’s Humorous

We laugh, oh how we laugh. Haki tells me every day he’s funnier than me, and most days, I believe him.

2. He’s Helpful

Whether he’s offering to carry my things, crick my back, or iron tablecloths (without water) for zone conference – Haki does little things to make my life easier (and amuse me some more in the process – steam is the key!)

3. He’s Humble

I have never met a man so far from being arrogant – despite the things he has or has done that serve as obvious cause for being proud (ahem).

4. He’s Honourable

Haki set his sights on a mission and a temple marriage, and never deviated from his course. He welled up across that alter, squeezes my hand in church meetings, and looks forward to fatherhood; honourable. (With me = the quirky one with CNP; parenthood with me!)

5. He’s my Heartthrob

From the days that Haki was only a name he has caused my heart to leap. He tells me he loves me more often than any wife could hope for and his tunnel-vision and delusions surrounding my beauty, and mine alone, always astound me. (I don’t care what you say Haki, Kate Hudson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Paris Hilton, Penelope Cruz, and Charlize Theron are hot.)

And lastly... he’s 2/3rds Handy

He can open jars I can’t. He can lift things I can’t. He can reach itchy spots on my back that I can’t. He can finish the food that I can’t. But… I am the handy-woman of this house (Haki’s idea of “levelling” the washing machine was propping up one leg with a designer coaster and a nearby sock, then dusting his hands).

So, long may it read:

Ha - ki /ˈlʌki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[huhk-ee] – noun,

1. A humorous, helpful, humble, honourable heartthrob WHO employs unusual semantics, is repelled by liquorice and is also a stash-stealing, radio-hungry, repeat-playing, lolcat-loving, breadmaking-failure.

– synonyms honey, hon’, husband of mine

– antonyms bro, bol’, cuz

Related Posts with Thumbnails