Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Snack-smart

Last week I was passing through a colleague’s classroom, and thought aloud (as I am wont to do), “I feel like a Memphis Meltdown” (a chocolatey deluxe ice-cream on a stick that costs what 2 litres of ice-cream does).

To which the fellow teacher replied, “You strike me as the kind of person who will just go and get one now, too”.

Which caused me to nod vigorously and add, “You’re right, I am that type of person!”

If I were to complete a corny magazine or Facebook quiz (in the fashion of “Which Disney princess are you?” – what a riot!) to find my “Snacking Style”, this is what the final result would say:

Your snack style consists of a rare combination of responsible, healthy choices and spontaneous, sometimes lazy selections. You’re the type of person who will one day refuse sugary/high-sodium junk foods in favour of more sustaining options, yet walk through sleet to purchase potato chips the next. You can probably afford this inconsistent diet due to a high metabolism and/or active lifestyle, and some of your friends envy you for it. Try preparing healthy snacks in bulk and keeping them in air-lock containers to make healthy choices an easier and more attractive option on-the-go.

(This is the part where we consumers are meant to sit back and say, “Wow – it’s like they read a crystal ball!” – even though the “result” is simply synonymous reformations of everything we have just answered yes/no to.)

In striving for more thoughtful planning when it comes to my eating habits, it doesn’t help that I eat food in phases. The pistachio phase lasted at least 3 months (that’s what I would go to the sup to get, and that alone), which was then replaced by the croissant and polish sausage 1-month phase, which was replaced by the bier stick phase (which has no end, apparently), then there was the Chocolate Éclair stint (just buy and thaw – wow!) and currently, the new and expensive A&W Rootbeer phase (imported to only one store I can find in Dunedin).

I am also oh-so-impressionable when it comes to food. My friend, Steph, served up home-grown carrots and dip at the staffroom morning tea last week, and I went and bought a bag of carrots and two containers of dip during lunch-time. I hear someone say, “We’re having soufflé tonight”, and I think, “So am I”. Thanks impression-makers. I see what someone’s ordered at a restaurant, and express the cliché, happily, that I’ll “have what s/he’s having!” In fact, if I can’t see what other people are having, I will peer over in effort to so that I can.

So, back to the carrots. I am currently in a carrot and dip phase – and long may it last! I love when someone makes an impression for the good, and it becomes a long-enduring phase. I am hoping I may also impress someone else of the wonder of this snack option.

Behold:











Carrots and Dip

Ingredients:

  • Dip
  • Carrot

Method:

  1. Rinse carrot.
  2. Open dip.
  3. Dip carrot.

That’s right, skip the carrot sticks people – that means a) less time, b) no dishes and c) you can eat snack-smart anywhere (without preparing it in advance OR carrying a knife – never a good idea). My dip of choice is pumpkin and capsicum just now.

I fall in and out of love (in phases) with some foods, and love when I remember them again. While relishing in their rediscovery I often think, “I’ve missed you, I’m sorry I forgot you, how could I!?

Here is a list of the snack-smart foods with which I hope for a long-lasting love affair:

  • Carrots and dip
  • Cashews (I only ever eat about 12 in a sitting)
  • Yoghurt
  • Cereal
  • Couscous
  • Peas (with a little butter, I can eat just these for a snack)
  • Mouse traps
  • Home-made smoothies
  • Spirulina
  • Sugar-free Jelly
  • Pulpy orange juice (so filling and nutrient-filled, I don’t consider it a drink)

And these are the concubine snacks of shame I wish I would forget:

  • Brown sugar on toast
  • Cinnamon and sugar on toast
  • Chicken nuggets
  • 2-minute Noodles (Ramen)
  • Salt and Vinegar Kettle Chips
  • Bier sticks
  • Nerds
  • Twisties (I even look at them and think, “You’re orange. You’re too orange. That’s wrong. But you’re delicious.)

I welcome snack-smart recommendations. Change my life, I dare you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails