Monday, October 27, 2008

Chocolate Mug Cake (Microwave Recipe)

A mugnificent treat for one. (Chortle chortle)

Time required:
5 minutes

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons cocoa
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons flour
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
Dash of vanilla essence

Method:
  1. Place all dry ingredients inside an average mug and stir.
  2. Add the egg and whisk / mix well.
  3. Add milk and oil gradually, stirring.
  4. Add vanilla essence.
  5. Cook on high in microwave for 3 minutes.
  6. Eat from the mug, or run a knife around the edge to slide out onto a plate.
Variation:
Add some chocolate chips for an even more decadent cake.


All the dishes you'll need...and all you'll need to wash afterwards:

Consistency is a little like pancake batter.

Finished cake, still in the mug. I always put a paper towel underneath to avert potential spill-over mess, but I'm yet to have needed it.

It's more fun if you dress it up. Go on, click on the image to enlarge it...so you can see the steam...and smell the goodness.


Extra notes, tips and particulars:
(which I could have listed within the method, but then it would have made it look longer and harder than it actually is)
  • I like to wait 5 minutes before I eat my creation so that the cake is warm, but not "microwave fresh" - because there's something a little eerie about that straight-out-of-the-radioactive-machine-taste that leaves something to be desired.
  • My microwave is pretty old...and so maybe my "high" is not so high at all...but 3 minutes is perfecto in there. Reduce to 2.45 or so if your cake is coming out too dry.
  • I place cocoa at the bottom of all of the dry ingredients (in the mug first), because it is most likely to poof up when you add the egg (a veteran tip for tidier bench-tops).
  • Plain flour, plain flour, plain flour. Do not use baking flour (namely anything with a raising agent).
  • I use olive oil only...and haven't made this with anything else, but I suspect vegetable oil would provide a slightly lighter cake than the brownie-type mug-tastic I've been producing.
  • You could serve two people from one mug...technically.
Other ideas:
  • Add drained berries and then eat the cake with sorbet or a fruit sauce;
  • Add white chocolate chips;
  • Add a dallop of golden syrup and then eat the cake with unsweetened yoghurt;
  • Ice the cake for a birthday and top it with a single candle;
  • Use brown sugar instead of white; or
  • Add a little more cocoa.
I welcome comments if you try out any of these variations, or ideas of your own.


Thank you Paula, for forwarding something I didn't despise.
Related Posts with Thumbnails