Monday, January 26, 2009

Blithe Books - Real and Imagined

I have been amused by the existence of this book (above) for some time. I'm easily amused. I thought of it again this week when I came upon a list of made-up book titles and authors my class of 2007 conjured up in response to my request to do so. We had decided as a class to paint a mural of a giant bookshelf, and I suggested fake titles and authors for the bindings displayed would be far more fun than reeeeeal ones.

Here are some of their Made-up Book Titles (bless the 12-year-olds):
  • The Book of Chickens, Book Book
  • Why did you hit me? Britney Spears
  • The Anatomy of the Pelvis, Elvis Presley
  • Armageddon, Veville Di
  • Law, Paris Hilton
  • Holding It In, Ivana Tinkle
  • Man Overboard! Eileen Dover
  • Milking Cats, Ben Stiller
  • My Big Bikeride, Mia Bamahertz
What's that? You want to see more covers that have amused me? Pooh is not enough? Okay.


Deeee-lightful.

I am not alone in my pursuit of unusual titles, oh no! In a few months, Bookseller will announce their annual award for "Oddest Book Title of the Year" for 2008. Can't wait.

Some highlights from past years' Bookseller's shortlists:
  • D. Di Mascio’s Delicious Ice Cream: D. Di Mascio of Coventry: An Ice Cream Company of Repute, with an Interesting and Varied Fleet of Ice Cream Vans, Roger De Boer, Harvey Francis Pitcher, and Alan Wilkinson
  • The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification, Julian Montague (2006 winner)
  • Tattooed Mountain Women and Spoon Boxes of Daghestan, Robert Chenciner by Gabib Ismailov, Magomedkhan Magomedkhanov and Alex Binnie
  • Cheese Problems Solved, P. McSweeney
  • If You Want Closure in Your Relationship, Start With Your Legs, Big Boom (2007 winner)
  • How to Avoid Huge Ships, John W. Trimmer (1992 winner)
  • People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders - and What to Do About It, by Gary Leon Hill (2005 winner)
  • Collect Fungi on Stamps, D. J. Aggersberg
  • Old Tractors and the Men who Love Them, Roger Welsch
  • Infection Highlights, Marc Wilcox
Related Posts with Thumbnails