Sunday, January 18, 2009

Changing of the Guard - Relief Society

Today I was officially released as the Relief Society president at church.

I was called 4 years ago, as a 22-year-old, who had spent very little time in Relief Society since having turned 18, as I had been serving on various Primary presidencies and boards.

I have loved it.

I've loved having a greater awareness of opportunities for me to contribute and serve. I've felt an increase in my love towards others, and I've loved those I've served with. I have also revelled in organising things....from conferences to cupboards.

Today I was also called and set apart as a counsellor in the Primary presidency.

My feelings on the matter...well, they are strangely vague, non-descript and uninteresting. I know the things I don't feel - elation, disappointment, sadness, relief, or confusion.

Pinning down what I do feel is more difficult. The best way I can put it, is that I feel "it's just the way things are".

You just say "yes" when you are released and/or extended a calling, and then keep doing your best in your changed capacity, right? It seems quite simple to me.

So no one comfort me (because I'm really not upset), and no one pat me on the back (because I'm really not thrilled to be handing it over), it's just the way things are.

I'm off to meet with the wonderful new Relief Society president to talk shop. She's awesome, that is something I do feel.



If all of this is jargon to you, you can read up on what serving in the LDS church entails here.
Related Posts with Thumbnails