Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mini Movie Reviews: Bulk Hit No 9

Sharkwater
Like so many other nature-based documentaries of the past few years, this film is a motivational piece - geared towards educating and changing the way we treat the creatures of the deep. Haki and I both grimaced, winced, and turned away in disgust during numerous scenes in this film - due to the real-life footage of wasteful and illegal fishing. Nonetheless, I recommend it for both its beauty (some of the under-water photography is breathtaking!) and for giving audience to the issues it raises (unless you already know all there is to know about the billion dollar shark fin industry).


My Date with Drew
I saw a trailer for this years ago and have wanted to see if ever since. I hadn't been able to find it in any video stores until I checked online, at Fatso (I'm doing their month-long free-trial presently). For those who haven't heard anything about it, the film is a documentary about one man's crush on Drew Barrymore, and his pursuit of a date with her through making a film in 30 days (the money-back return period for the video camera used) with $1,100 (his winnings from a small-time TV game show). It is a fantastic film, not only because it is entertaining, and genuinely funny...it's fantastic because it subverts the common modes of the film industry in a way that I find fascinating (much like Nia Vardalos did, of My Big Fat Greek Wedding).

Marley & Me
I had heard a lot of people cried in this film. I hoped it wasn't just a, "Aw, isn't the dog cute!?" sort of tale (I'm not a fan of *animal* movies). It isn't that kind of film at all. I was surprised by its depth, in fact. I didn't enjoy The Devil Wears Prada, and so the boastful allusion on the DVD cover to David Frankel directing worked as a deterrent. Heading in with low expectations, this film was surprisingly enjoyable. Perhaps our current life situation helped me and Haki relate well to its themes...but Haki and I joined the ranks of those who cried in this film. Wait, I mean...I did...Haki, uh...I've said too much.


Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
King Julien is pretty much the only reason I would recommend this movie. It's not bad, per se, it's just not great. I think Kung Fu Panda has made it hard for me to cut animated flicks some slack (but it was just so good!). Okay, back to King Julien. Who is not entertained by a character with these lines of dialogue?
"If I had only two days to live, I would invade a neighboring country, and force my own ideology on them, whether they wanted it or not."
and
"Whatever happened to the separation of the classes?"
Maybe you "have to be there" to find him funny...it's the way he says it. Oh, it's just peachy!


Bedtime Stories
Adam Sandler and Disney a happy marriage make. I was so excited when I saw this film advertised! Finally - Sandler: Censored! This movie was great. Great, great, great. I put it on a second time the morning following the first viewing while cluster feeding Baby E, and I found it even funnier. Clean humour (consisting of more than just dad's jokes) with a great moral.


Bride Wars
Mildly entertaining. I didn't hope for much, and it wasn't much at all. In fact, I've already forgotten most of it. It's not offensive...but it's probably not worth the time it'll take out of your life to see it.


Valkyrie
Haki and I put this into the DVD player with comments like, "So, this flopped, right?" and "Shall we give it the 20 minute test?" Maybe it was the soundtrack...maybe it was my mood that evening...but Valkyrie really affected me. I found this film emotive and visually delicious. I wouldn't say it changed my life, but I definitely was "feeling it" during viewing. Some may wish to turn away during segments of the final chapter (I did).
Related Posts with Thumbnails