Monday, June 29, 2009

Where I'm writing from

I'm writing from New Zealand - the land of the long white cloud - or Aotearoa.

If you're from here, I don't need to tell you this is the greatest place on earth.

If you're from afar, you may already know a little about us. In addition to our elven ancestry, we also excel in rugged field sports. All of us. We're all the same. Did I mention we all sing beautifully too? Also true. It has to do with our Pacific heritage. As you may have observed (via Bret and Jemaine's everyday attire), we are also exceptionally fashionable. We're one talented lot.

If you are dissatisifed with my sum-up of all things kiwi, feel free to consult another source. Like, say, this one.

Now, let us hone in on my turf. Haki, Baby E and I live down in the South Island of New Zealand, in a small city called "Dunedin".

That map may have helped some of you also establish where in the world the entire country is. Good job.

While I was still teaching full-time (before the babe's arrival), I took a special Education Outside the Classroom (EOTC) week-long elective titled "I am Dunedin" where I accompanied a bunch of eager students in playing tourists in our own city. Read about Dunedin from our perspective here.

"Dunedin" does not suffice as a description of where I'm writing from, however. I am writing from the suburb (some claim separate town) of Mosgiel.

Aw, blessed Mosgiel. We moved out here a couple of months ago, and I love it. Love it.

10 reasons I love living in Mosgiel
  1. What's not to love about Mosgiel's own Hollywood-esque sign?
  2. My front door mat is still at my front door in Mosgiel.
  3. There are a lot of retired folk in Mosgiel. A lot of retired folk make for quiet neighbourhoods. Also, they make for a higher proportion of neatly maintained hedges, garden gnomes and letterbox ornaments. These happen to be some of my favourite things.
  4. There is a distinct lack of tertiary students in Mosgiel. While being a part of the whole "Universe-ity Revolves Around Me" gag was fun for a season...I find it nice to have some distance between me and a) the broken glass; b) burning couches; c) slurred yelling; and d) big kids that don't look both ways.
  5. Mosgiel was made for walking, and that's just what I'll do.
  6. The Salvation Army in Mosgiel is rather large.
  7. Mosgiel is almost always a degree warmer than Dunedin. That degree matters.
  8. The people.
  9. The people.
  10. The people. We have taken 6.5 years of marriage and five moves to figure out that it's best to live near your friends. If you live near your workplace, and far from your friends, it's easy to say, "It's too late" or "It's too far" when considering making a visit...and as a result...visits don't happen nearly enough. But if you live near your friends, and a little further from your workplace...it's funny how you still get to work every day. The people are what really make Mosgiel. We love you folk!



P.S. Thank you to Steph, of Indiana, who alerted me to the fact that I've shared little about this magical place I call "home". Also, thank you for posting a comment - they are gold! Anyone else wishing to sweeten my day may do likewise. Questions and requests are also welcome. Muaha.
Related Posts with Thumbnails