Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Ads? Filthy! Be free of them!

Our boarder, Scott, doesn't know a lot about computers.

Some indicators:
  • He was proud to show me he had found the "Back" button in his browser;
  • Today he beamed as he said, "I'm writing my first email. I'm half-way through it, right here", pointing at the screen;
  • He couldn't understand why his emails were not getting to his sister at the domain "hotmail.com.nz"; and
  • He picked up his laptop and turned it sideways to look at a photo that hadn't been rotated.

So he's needed a little help setting up his Facebook account.

We were working on his new macbook, and I observed filthy, filthy advertisements running down the right-hand side of his profile page. Filthy!

I thought, "Those aren't on mine. Facebook's sold out. Lame".

Then I remembered, most ads don't display on my computer...because I made the very, very wise choice to install an Ad Blocker ages ago.

If you haven't done it already, what are you waiting for?

This is the one I use:
Adblock Plus 1.1.

It's an add-on for Firefox.

And if you're not using Firefox...well, I frown upon you. Where do I begin with your kind?
Related Posts with Thumbnails