Thursday, July 23, 2009

Let's Talk about Language so'more

I wish to add to my list of "Words that tickle my fancy...and rub the wrong way".

More wince-inducers:
  • Congrats OR 'grats (The full word is also obnoxious when said or spelled as though it contains the letter D. It does not, my friends, contain this letter! Do not write it this way!)
  • Dwang (you say "building brace", I say, "sounds rude and anatomical")
  • Cuz (said or spelled, it's nasty)
  • 'Sup, Wassup, Wazzup, and all its variations (Okay, I'm going to stop listing bro-terms, else such words take over the list. Two's enough for today)
  • Texted (/shaking head)
  • Globule
  • Flange (coincidently one of my nicknames in high school)
  • Rural (it's hard to say!)
More words I like to hear:
  • Generic
  • Enamoured
  • Alibi
  • Galoshes
  • Grizzly (more so when used as an adjective, rather than a noun)
  • Whom (whenever it's used correctly, I clap...whether it's on television...in a movie, or by my own husband)
  • Pariah
  • Visceral
  • Cadence
  • Ash
  • Chagrin (even if it gets overused)
  • Sorbet
In other language news, the other night I picked up Baby E after changing her and said, "We're gonna go brush my teeth together, aren't we? Together! Togetherness is us! Because that's how we roll."

Haki interjected, "You're right, you can't say it".

Beow beow.
Related Posts with Thumbnails