Friday, December 18, 2009

Eggplant Mini-pizzas


Best. eggplant recipe. ever. Hmmmm...perhaps, since this was my first time having eggplant*, throwing superlatives around willy nilly is a little premature. But really, these were heavenly!

I adapted the recipe I found slightly, and so have included how I made it, below.

For those with doubting husbands, Haki said, "It tastes like meat!" He also had seconds.

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 large eggplant / 2 small, sliced into rounds (2 centimetres or so thick)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
  • 1/2 punnet basil and cashew pesto
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 1/2 cups grated Edam/Mild cheese
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
  2. Give the eggs a quick whisk in deep plate or shallow bowl and prepare your toppings - in my case, grate the cheese and chop the red onion. (Don't you just love eating cheese from a board you've diced onion on? Mmmmm.)
  3. Pour the oil in a fry pan and turn to medium-high heat.
  4. While the oil is heating, mix the flour, salt, pepper, and oregano in a mixing bowl.
  5. Dunk and coat each eggplant slice in the egg, then turn in the flour mixture one at a time. That paper towel is ugly, isn't it? It's where I left my oily tongs in between flips. A spoon-rest, if you will.
  6. Place the coated slices in the fry pan. Turn slices when brown (about 2 minutes each side).
  7. Transfer finished slices to a cookie sheet or baking tray (I spread tin foil over a baking rack and skipped placing the slices on paper towels - I wanted them to come off easily, and didn't want to scrub cheese off of anything).
  8. Spoon a generous amount of pasta sauce onto each eggplant size, and dollop of pesto in the topping centre. Sprinkle on diced onion and grated cheese. Here are mine, pre-cheese:
  9. Bake until cheese is melted and looking tasty (5 to 10 minutes).
  10. "Plate up!" (Hahahaha.)
I stopped packing to make this! And then post this! I am doing short dashes of madness. It is goooooood.

*First time, I know! It's one of those foods my mother wasn't sure how to cook...and so never did. And then it never seemed to find its way onto potluck tables or the dinner menu where I was guest. I picked a couple of eggplants up from my favourite vege shop this week, determined to be strangers no more!

Related Posts with Thumbnails