Friday, January 15, 2010

Midnight Spaghetti


I think every family has its fail-safe, familiar foods. Double-F foods, if you will.

For my family, growing up, the Double-F Foods list consisted of:
  • Taco Salad;
  • Corned Silverside;
  • Spaghetti Bolognaise;
  • Tuna Salad;
  • Fish Fingers; and
  • Mac'n'Cheese.
After moving out, marrying Haki, and watching my own cooking habits adapt in response to a) what I buy and what I store and b) what Haki will eat, my FF Foods list became:
  • Masoor Dal;
  • Spaghetti Bolognaise;
  • Fish in Foil (baked with accompaniments in its own juices and served over rice);
  • Stir-fry Chicken (varying flavours, but stir-fry chicken was a fall-back, nonetheless);
  • Parmesan Spaghetti (that's really all there is to it); and
  • Cheesey Corn (creamed) and Buns.
While the evolution of my FF Foods List seemed completely logical and unsurprising, I was horrified when my sister announced on her blog that she was making one of her "fallback foods" she makes "time and time again"...and that not only was the recipe missing from my artillery, I'd never even heard of it. This food was Midnight Spaghetti.

And so I made it.
Quick-smart.

And now it proudly sits as the crowning jewel atop our ever-changing, FF Foods list.

And I couldn't go another day withholding this "Oh-no-the-cupboard-is-bare-night"-saving information from any of you. Who would do that?



What were your FF Foods growing up? What are they now? Have you been similarly betrayed by a sibling - who is secretly merrily making something that could be saving your life too?

Oh, P.S. You should try it. Dead....easy...and delicious. That picture, up the top there - taken in our old house. That's right, I make it so often, I've taken pictures of it before with the intention to post. We had it just last night, after the cake-slice incident.
Related Posts with Thumbnails