Friday, April 2, 2010

Mini Movie Reviews: Bulk Hit No 14



The Accidental Husband
It doesn't matter if Mr Darcy and Denny are in it. It's still not that great. I think it may be Uma's fault. All I know is, I saw this film within the past 5 months, and I don't remember much of it...at all. I do remember thinking Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character development and change was too unbelievable to enjoy.

Ice Age 3
I say, watch this movie for this little guy:
His name is Buck, and I found him hilarious. Maybe it was my mood? Voiced by Simon Pegg, he delivered line after line of quality comedy. For example, right from his introduction; "The name's Buck. Short for Buckminster. Long for Buh." I gave a snort of approval. Then, he came out with other little rippers, such as, "Let me tell you about the time I turned a Tyrannosaurus Rex into Tyrannosaurus Rachel." I won't spoil my two favourites of his lines. Maybe it's in the delivery? Well, the flick's worth seeing, even if only for Buck.

2012
This tagline is unfortunate. I feel like it should read, "We were warned...John Cusack was our only hope for saving the world." Or "We were warned...the film was far-fetched." Because we were, we were - we were told these things, but we watched anyway. I can't help but compare this movie to The Day After Tomorrow - which, while lacking credibility and finesse - I still found entertaining. I grimaced my way through 2012. It's only real redeeming points for me: it's science fiction, and its ethical questions are still valid.

Valentine's Day
We saw this "Valentine's Day Eve." It's a mediocre serving of romantic comedy - delivering all you can expect, and nothing more or less. The cast is hard to ignore, and the film does well to acquaint us with each character despite how many there are. There were a few nice touches, and moments that were sweet, even in their predictability. But isn't that what romantic comedies do? Deliver what we want (and expect)? I wouldn't rank this among my favourites from the genre, but it does what it should.

Goya's Ghosts
Depressing and horrific. I confess, I've thought about the magnificence of one scene time and time again since. I also felt motivated to learn more about the Spanish Inquisition as a result of seeing this film. But no scene's intensity or power to promote further learning could outweigh how down I felt watching it, and for the rest of the day. Did I mention horrifying? If you, like me, are tempted by the cast list, ask yourself, "Am I willing to risk my happiness for the next 24 hours?" Maybe it won't have that affect on you...but are you willing to risk it?

Push
I think a group of 'tweens might enjoy this more than we did. It isn't all bad, but there are some characters (and their abilities) which are laughable when I'm pretty sure they are meant to be formidable. I find the characters unlikeable, and I couldn't muster any care for what happened to them. I stayed awake for all of it, that's something, right?

Son of Rambow
I rented this solely because my sister said it was better than she thought it would be. Haki and I were both surprised by the nature of this film. It is well-crafted, genuinely funny in segments, intelligent, and original. I still didn't love it. It is one of those movies I cannot deny is well-executed at what it sets out to do, I just am not fond of it because what it sets out to do is not really my sort of thing. It had some Napoleon Dynamite moments, for us, but was much darker.

Avatar
I saw this in 3D soon after its release, and mentioned I had. But a mention was all I could afford - as I was up at my parents' for Christmas, and didn't sacrifice family-lovin' for blog-postin'. I also hadn't viewed enough films to build a bulk hit upon our return...and so, to date, Avatar has not received the attention it deserved. It is my film of 2009, and I loved it. It's fine if you don't feel the same way, but less fine if you haven't even seen it and have decided it's not for you. I've heard too many people say, "I saw blue people and went, 'Bleh.'" Yes, it's science fiction, so I'm already amped. But it was so epic! The fact that Haki is in agreement about this being the film of last year no doubt lends strength to my recollection of it - but is that so bad? So much of the film experience is in the mood you were in and the people you were with. In my case, that was a) highly positive, and b) my siblings and their spouses. Hard to beat. Plus, the blue people are awesome.

P.S. I went to Sherlock Holmes too. It's not on this list because I didn't see Sherlock Holmes. You see I went...but so did Esky. For the record, that was the last film we will be taking our now-too-old-to-stay-quiet daughter to. She was an angel for all 3 hours of Avatar (napping and nursing), but that was apparently, the end of our no-babysitter-required days.

I recommend skipping:
Ghosts of Girlfriends Past - filth and garbage. A shame, given the two leads (both of whom I enjoy watching...separately).
Related Posts with Thumbnails