Friday, November 26, 2010

Mini Movie Reviews: Bulk Hit No 21

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1
Thrilling. Dark. Dark. Entertaining. I didn't want it to end. But I never really want to watch it again. Did I mention, dark? (Children will watch this. And should they? What do you think? Yikes.)

Alice in Wonderland
It turns out being pretty isn't enough, eh? Oh, Alice in Wonderland, I wanted everyone I'd spoken to to be wrong about you. Alas, your befuddled and often inaudible script, messy second half, and general forgetability confirms you're not so special.

The Box
The short story upon which this film is based is superior to the film (my dad had told me this tale long ago). Initially, I felt suspense and intrigue...but later, disappointment - not utter and absolute - but definitely disappointment. The potential was there. It's also a tad heart-breaking...and unnecessary "stuff" was added that detracted from the central narrative.

The Last Airbender
Poor acting and hollowness, sadly. Sad, because this film is clean. There are a few moments of beauty though. Haki and I saw this in-cinema months ago, and I was not as disappointed as he. We both agreed the cartoon is better...which is never a good soundbite of feedback, eh? Worth renting for a few bucks...but not worth raving about.

The Blind Side
If only all well-meaning women of such a variety might meet such happy endings! Highly entertaining and well-acted. I particularly enjoyed the focus on the family story, with fair and sufficient allusions only to the situation in the South at the time (I think any more treatment on the latter would have split the film into a divided and confused project). I can tolerate Haki maintaining "Sandra Bullock is hot," ever since he saw this film. I already knew this. Where was he when this scene played?
When In Rome
Light. Flawed. Still funny.
Related Posts with Thumbnails