Friday, January 28, 2011

Eight Household Habits at 8:00

Household habits:
  1. Bring blooms from the garden inside.
  2. Keep pegs and fasteners handy in the kitchen, for clipping open packets closed. Yes, my towels are sorted into handtowels and dishtowels (the other, to the right, is a tablecloth).
  3. Label lightswitches that I know I will otherwise waste 2 days of my life switching on/off as I attempt to isolate the lights I wish to be on/off OR as I attempt to remember some complicated mnemonic or spatial pattern that helps me remember which switch corresponds to which light. I'll have that 2 days, thanks. And yes, I like my wonky labels and their character. (Ben.=Benches, Alc.=Alcove, Cen.=Centre, Out.=Outside...since you asked.)
  4. Keep Esky's dirty socks (a.k.a. tiny, renegade-wannabe socks) in a mesh delicates bag, suspended from a hook on her door (near the laundry hamper). Whenever her socks are popped to be changed or for a shower, they go straight into this bag, which is periodically thrown into the washing machine with all the littlies inside, together, trapped! Muahahaha! Baby 2 will have his/her own mesh bag, to be sure. When I saw those itty bitty foot coverings, upon having Esky, I was determined I would not be turning all our clothes inside-out and right-ways back, again and again, in search of MIA booties. Also, now that Esky's a little older, this bag is one of her favourite things to retrieve from the laundry basket of wet washing, to hang. She holds it up and cries, "Socks!?" and then after I help her unzip it, she passes them to me one by one (I don't even have to bend down), as I pair and peg them. Not a one lost...not. a. one. Yes, the bag is empty here...it's easy to be up to date with washing when your husband is away...and stockpiling it. Also, having only one child helps.
  5. Institute and maintain a reminder clip on the front door. The last space Haki gazes at before he leaves for his day, this is the spot for clipping letters to be posted, DVDs needing returned, CDs of work images to be dropped off, shopping lists, and of course...love notes. Out of the "little helper's" reach, the items are not moved and "put away," and on the door, it's hard to miss. A string of kombolói also hangs here as a reminder of my trip to Greece.
  6. Keep a spare set of charged batteries at the ready - else how will I ensure I capture all 967 of the photograph-worthy moments I see each day? Okay, 9 a day. Or hour. It depends. You get the idea. When that little battery symbol flashes on the camera's display, I smile, knowing I can just slide out those four double-A's - weary of the snap-happy parent weilding them - and replace them with warm and ready replacements, putting the retirees in the charger instead.
  7. Store the wet cat food can in purpose-bought reusable container to keep those smells out of the fridge (it also saves using lots of Gladwrap / tinfoil OR washing the icky meat off of a plastic lid that is directly on the can). That's right, I said "icky." I found this counter in ye ol' Warehouse for a couple of bucks (I carried it to the pet food section, in store, and tested it was the size I needed). I can unscrew the lid and spoon Lucius' dinner right out of the can without removing it. Awesome.
  8. Roll and tie plastic grocery bags. Although I don't have a kicker supply (as I use canvas, reusable bags for my big shop), I do my best to keep enough on-hand for lining bins, bagging ill-laid cat poop, and bagging wet togs etc. Most of my bags come from other people. Anyhoooooow, I love rolling them. I love that this means they take up less space, that they're a ready-made, tight little bundle for slipping into a nappy bag or suitcase, and that they're safer than untied bags (for little curious humans in search of hats). You can scoff - sure, you're busy, you don't have time for rolling bags. I get it. I'm pretty much a super-bag-roller, it ain't no thing for these lightning fingers. I understand if you can't relate to the scoffing; understand if you want to learn. Here - you can! Instructions: Tuck in those side pleats and flatten the bag; fold in half lengthways; fold in half again lengthways (so you've got a long, skinny, quarter size of the bag when flattened); roll from the base of the bag...or fold tightly...or even fold up in triangles - as I've seen a number of my friends do; cross the handles over around the rolled up bag and pass one handle through the loop of the other and tie on the opposite side in a granny knot. Voilà. Consider this knowledge your early birthday present. For your 50th. Because it's that awesome. Or keep scoffing...also an option.
967 points to the person who reminds me who taught me this.
Rache T? Rache C? Was it even a "Rache?"
Related Posts with Thumbnails