Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Jester's next to the Knight

Play chess?
My dad taught me.
I'm terrible at it. But I do know how to play.

I chuckle to myself whenever I look at the bishop:
Like the other pieces, he is a highly simplified representation of what he is. I imagine most people would have placed his face below the bobble-hat-thing, yes?
Well, I was lookin' at this fellow for years from a bird's eye view and thought he was the goofiest piece on the board;
I'm not sure what brought about my realisation that the bishop wasn't sporting a ginormous clown's nose and looking heavenward (and not reverently, I might add...but more in the mode of an Elmo laugh). Turns out he's rather stately and elegant, in keeping with my perception of the game itself - go figure. And how disappointing.

The end.

P.S. That's right, I kept this post to less than 150 words. You're welcome.
Related Posts with Thumbnails