Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mini Movie Reviews: Bulk Hit No 23

The Tourist
The trailer suggested promise; suggested a dark thriller. Not so. The Tourist is a watered down and obvious quasi-action flick. I was hoping for something akin to The Thomas Crown Affair with a female Bourne injected therein...instead it was like the comedy, Knight and Day. Only possibly worse, because I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be laughable. However - props for no sex scene - I'm sure this A-list pairing was a hard opportunity to resist.

Tangled
What a groovy little feature! I really enjoyed Tangled. So much so, I watched it twice. Mother Gothel (Donna Murphy) made the movie for me; her contributions to both the script's delivery and the musical score are gob-smackin' awesome - "Mamaaaaa...knows....best!" I wasn't bothered by Tangled's deviations from the original Grimm tale and found the adaptation refreshing and well-thought. And I must say, on BluRay the grass and hair look pretty spectacular (don't get me started on the lantern scene!). A fist pump for you, Disney, for turning out a winner for your 50th animated film, but a warning to you, parents, that this disc donned the PG tag for a reason - I wouldn't show this movie to anyone under 12.*
P.S. Haki laughed out loud more than once during this movie.

Tron: Legacy (2010)
Radness. A Science Fiction treat - a glowing, shiny treat. Tron: Legacy is coooool. The story is lacking, but did I mention shiny? This film was meant for 3D.

Tooth Fairy (2010)
Cute. Great supporting cast.

Flash of Genius
Fascinating and frustrating at the same time. Robert Kearns (the professor upon whom Greg Kinnear's character is based) is so unlikeable. So unlikeable. But ultimately, his story, down to its finer details, was worthy of the screen. I learned watching this, and was motivated to learn more by reading up afterwards.

Morning Glory (2010)
A great little movie, perfect for a quick Friday or Saturday night escape. I was crazy about the characters in this movie - all of them - and laughed heartily. (I'll spell it out; Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Patrick Wilson, Jeff Goldblum, and pretty much every extra = dynamite.) Fun fun.

Skyline
Meh. B- verging on C-grade. Unintentionally small-focussed and awkward.

Eat Pray Love
Lame. I resent anti-marriage movies, so this film ticked me off within 10 minutes. The story seems to celebrate quitting and selfishness, and virtually implied marriage is like an old hat you can tire of in favour of a new identity. Uh, why can't our identities and pursuits evolve with our marriage, is what I want to know? GAH! The intended "villian" in the opening relationship (Billy Crudup) is so much more likeable and interesting than Julia Roberts' pessimistic and privileged one that I wished I could somehow compell the cameras in real time to ditch the lead and, "Follow that other guy!" Who wants a leading character that spits upon opportunities some people never have and solves her problems by splurging money most people lack? Great sum-ups here and here.

*See Comment 7.

I'd plain ol' skip (one line review only):
Dinner for Schmucks - the super-good bits don't make up for the vulgar ones.
The Guardians of Gahoole - I fell asleep. Twice. Anyone see all of it and want to tell me I missed something spectacular and it deserves a third chance?
The Vampire's Assistant - Bleh.
Related Posts with Thumbnails