Thursday, July 21, 2011

Rustic and Sweet Apple Muffins

I created this variation of many recipes a few years ago, when I was working at a goldmine as a PA, then as an EA (Executive Assistant), and finally a Tourism Ranger. The mine was around 1hr40min away from where we were living at the time, and the office site's work day commenced at 8:30am. I got up early. (But not as early as when I was rowing!) I was car-pooling with some lovely people, and on Fridays I started a tradition of bringing a basket of warm baking for the passengers for the drive out. These were a favourite morning treat, and pulling this recipe out again this week (with all my notations from each time I improved it), reminded me of those brisk starts and these delicious morsels I devoured after beating the sun up. Eat them warm!

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2 1/2 level Tablespoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup dessicated coconut
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup canola oil
2 single-serve pottles of yoghurt (I use what we usually have - Meadowfresh Strawberry - Haki's favourite, this is around 1 cup)
1/4 cup milk
1 egg (sometimes I add a squirt of mayo if my eggs are small - say, size 5)
1 grated apple

1 Tablespoon cinnamon mixed with
3 Tablespoons sugar

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C and smear butter in your muffin tin (makes 12 medium muffins). Alternatively: these peel away from patty cases really well.
  2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. In a separate, medium-sized bowl, combine the oil, yoghurt, milk and egg (1/3 cup buttermilk in place of the yoghurt works well).
  4. Add the apple and wet ingredients to the dry and blend until just combined.
  5. Place in muffin tins and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven and leave to rest for a few minutes, then serve while warm.
Looooove the crunchy tops and moist centres of these beauties!


Related Posts with Thumbnails