If you haven't joined the Green Smootie Party, I don't blame you. But I invite you; come on in, the smoothie is fine!
I've been loading up on these protein-, vitamin-, mineral- and enzyme-rich treats for the past few weeks, and I'm mad about them.
My sister sang their praises some time back, and I wasn't yet sold. In fact, I seem to recall my gag reflex was activated during our conversation, more than once. (See, I told you I knew where y'all hesitators are coming from.) But lately, I've been way more game when it comes to new foods - especially those that could benefit my health (I ordred a pizza with jalapenos and anchovies on Haki's birthday - why not, eh? I'll tell you why not, anchovies stink...now there's a substantiated reason I don't order them). Back to the smoothies - they are more than palatable (I enjoy them, and Esky does too), don't smell like 47-week-old fish-socks, and benefit my health;
- They have increased my fruit and vegetable intake substantially; and
- ...reduced my processed sugar intake (since I'm often suckin' down these puppies in place of my usual sweet fix).
- I usually dress my green veges with something less good for me - cheese, butter or dressing being the usual suspects. Getting my greens sans some bad fats - another plus.
- I'm eating more vegetables fresh (which I understand in many cases increases bioavailability / nutrients, but in some does not...e.g. carrots - cook 'em to increase absorption.)
- I've also increased the amount of fibre I'm consuming (which I couldn't do by drinking a vegetable or fruit juice offering similar vitamins alone).
- They help me drink more fluids.
- I feel like blending a lot of good stuff up before eating it gives my poor old digestive system a much-needed routine break, because what with all that talking I have to do at. all. times. there just isn't enough time for chewing.
a.k.a. Therrusaspinachinthis Smoothie
Yes, I made up the names. Like them. Asterix would.
10 (small to medium) leaves of fresh spinach
8 large frozen raspberries
Almonds, preferably left in water for 10 hours or so
Half an apple
2 glasses of water
A large spoon of honey / some sugar (I'm not hardcore, clearly)
I drink a tall glass of this fresh, pour Esky one too (my toddler's eating her greens!), and then freeze the rest to eat for dessert!
I've tried a few other combinations, but this is my favourite right now - the raspberries really mask the spinach flavour for me. Haki can drink them, but doesn't relish them as Esky and I do (merrily wearing green smoothie moustaches as we go).
I'm working my way up to sampling some other veges with:
- Raw kumara and coconut milk.
- Cucumber, citrus zest and dates.
- Avocado and alfalfa sprouts.
- Carrot and pineapple.
- Strawberry, yoghurt and tomato.
- Wheat grass.
Already enjoying these? What do you recommend?
Or maybe you think this is crazier than my much-loved avocado smoothie? Why haven't you tried the avocado smoothie? Oh man, want one right now.