Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cheesey Chicken Enchiladas


There are bajillions of recipes floating around like these...this is the variation I've mish mashed together.  It is currently my favourite (extravagant) main.  Part of what I love about this recipe right now is that on Day 1 I put an entire chicken in an oven bag and leave it to do its thing for an hour or two, and then Haki shreds it for me for Day 2's dinner.  I put the oven bag in the oven too.  Day 2's dinner is fast and easy!  Often I find preparing meat to be one of the most tedious tasks in preparing a meal, currently -- my kids can't help and it's nasty to stop midway, right?  Frantically washing the raw chicken juice to take your toddler off of the table or wipe away a sneeze...yah.  Slow-cooker / roasted meat is my kind of preparation with toddlers around.  Ooo, and I also like that the less savoury pieces of the chicken become cat food.  If I'm going to eat a whole chicken this way (granted, I buy them on the cheap, frozen...no less...) I want to feel like I am using every gram of the thing.

Ingredients:
1 large splash of the oil of your preference
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 heaped teaspoons crushed garlic
1 dinner plate of cooked, shredded chicken - an entire chicken's worth 
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 tablespoon dried coriander
1 teaspoon sugar
1 can chopped tomatoes / 3-4 fresh, finely chopped / minced tomatoes
1 can creamy chicken soup (condensed)
1 1/2 cups grated cheese (I use Edam)

8-10 tortillas

Optional:
2 tablespoons mayonaisse
2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
Salt and pepper

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
  2. Sauté onion and garlic in oil in a large frying pan until clear and beginning to brown (ensure the onion will be soft to the bite).
  3. Add chicken, stirring until heated well through.
  4. Add powdered spices (optional chicken stock and mayo here -- I add these if I'm using lack lustre / cheaper brand chicken soup and/or I'm skimping on cheese), sugar, tomatoes, and soup.  Heat and stir over medium heat until well-blended and hot.
  5. Remove from heat and stir in half of the full measure of cheese.
  6. Soften tortillas, if prepackaged, and arrange in a large roasting dish with large spoonsfuls of the mixture inside.  Hold tortillas closed with spoons of the same mixture, and sprinkle the remainder of the cheese overtop.
  7. Bake until the cheese is melted, then switch to grill until the torilla corners crisp and the cheese bubbles (approx. 15 minutes, total).
We generously fill 8 tortillas, since our roasting dish is small.  There's more than enough mixture to make 10.  I can only eat three of these before I'm full, if I'm eating nothing else, so it would be a good main for 4-5 adults.  Esky can only eat half of one though, so it might be a winner for larger families.
Related Posts with Thumbnails