Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mini Movie Reviews: Bulk Hit No 26


Real Steel
Based on how little I'd heard about this film and my gut reaction to its cover, I was unenthused.  Hoorah -- for this laid the foundations for pleasant surprise; Real Steel is a great movie; I really enjoyed it.  It's intelligent but uncomplicated...and just fun! 
Contagion
Well, well, well, who do have we here?  Everyone.  Ah, the ol' ensemble cast.  And a nice ensemble, at that.  The film is well-acted and thought-provoking, but not much of a pick-me-up, to be sure.  It did make me think a lot about our 72-hour kits.  Warning to the squeamish: this is rather grisly.
 
Downton Abbey: Christmas Special
I did not want it to end.  
 
Charlotte's Web
I grew up watching the animated retelling of E.B White's story (1973).  My parents actually nominated it as the only "kids' movie" suitable for Sunday viewing...so it got a lot of viewing.  I rented this adaptation for Esky, and I found it to be lovely.  Julia Roberts' voice is a little distracting (Charlotte), Steve Buscemi makes an excellent rat, and Dakota is tremendous as Fern.  Oh, and let's not leave out the pig's prized performance...er...pigs' (it reportedly took 47 of them).

 
Captain America: The First Avenger
Mediocre.  The first half was pretty good...I slept through the second.  Boy, the shrunken body was all I could look at and think about in the early frames. It really was "pretty good," but we still have it on hire, and I haven't made it a priority to finish it...so that says something.  But as Haki pointed out, compared to some other Marvel projects, (*cough* Daredevil...Elektra), it's very good.  Even having failed the sleep test, I'm glad I've seen what I did, as I am looking forward to The Avengers movie
 
Did You Hear About the Morgans? 
Speaking of mediocre, this is that.  Maybe one notch above, if you can forgive a lack of chemistry.  But I will say that it is relatively clean -- compared to other romcom offerings...and I still enjoyed it for what it is; formulaic and predictable, light comedy.
Related Posts with Thumbnails