Friday, September 28, 2012

Five Parent-shares at 5:00


  1. I make our own hair detangler for the girls by adding a little conditioner to water in an empty spray bottle and shaking it (our spray bottle is an old detangler bottle -- ha -- but you can save even more if you buy a generic one from K-Mart or a dollar store!). 
  2. On high kid-traffic days, I spray Esky's hair with a head lice defence spray.  Truth.  She hasn't caught them yet, and my sister-in-law's four kids haven't caught them since she started doing it.  This is the one we use.  Maybe our household will have to de-nit again some day (agh, please no!  I caught them twice while I was teaching, so I am not turning up my nose at any homes that have had to deal with these pests), but maybe we won't.  Imagine that -- never having to pick the critters from my girls' scalps!  I can dream.
  3. If you haven't got a garden already, it really is one of the best things I've ever done with my kids.  It doesn't have to be expensive to just start -- our carpet (for weed-matting), tyres, seedlings, freshly-split herbs and rhubarb, and seed potatoes have been free from FreeCycle.  I also bought a pack of seeds or a seedling every week for a while there (I kinda considered it my tax for playing at the indoor Mitre 10 Mega playground), and then we started planting in Spring.  We're still planting.  Both girls are crazy about it.  I've been wanting to do it for so long, but lacked the means to do things the way I envisioned.  Letting go of the vision and embracing what was possible now -- so much better.
  4. Is it wrong that I laughed a lot (a lot) today at this part of Peppa Pig?  Long and loud.  Oh boy.  It's a bit wrong, but did you see her face?!  /recoverysigh
  5. Here's a preview of a free children's book about the sanctity of the human body that our family has grabbed.  It's called God Gave You a Body, so yeah, not for everyone; a Christian-spin to counter/balance the "information pamphlets" handed out in schools. Available for download here.
Related Posts with Thumbnails