Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Picture Book Round-up: Duck Feet, Wally and Quirky Goldilocks +



 
I Wish that I had Duck Feet, Theo LeSieg / Dr Suess
This book is a real favourite around our house right now, and I am awful fond of its moral.  I do not unconditionally enjoy all Seuss, by the way -- the Grinch's story, for example, bugs me a little (because his horrible antics fill so many pages and it's all made right in so few).  But this one, the book is imaginative, the illustrations are sweet.  It is also a great one for early readers (I like to let Esky read some lines to me).
Alpha Quest, Bruce Whatley
I find the fantastical illustrations in this creative book demand attention.  Each page features an assortment of things corresponding to a letter (or letters), many of which are not so over-used in friezes and on blocks.  There is humour in the composition, lots of detail to absorb, and a quest to find each letter concealed somewhere on its page.  It is a pseudo-"grown-up" alphabet book -- more about increasing vocabulary and exploring together and less learning the alphabet.
Bear in Love, Daniel Pinkwater
I had no idea when I got this from the library how much Esky was going to enjoy it.  The story is very sweet -- bear is left anonymous gifts that make his day, and he becomes determined to find the who is responsible.   I've come to love the magic and darling humour of this little tale.
Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Lauren Child
We borrowed a stack of fairy tales this month.  Esky has been ripe and ready to discuss perspectives and how the same story (or experience) can be seen and retold differently by different people (yes, I am salivating at the teaching potential).  After reading five or six versions of Goldilocks, it became clear this was her favourite.  The images consist of staged photographs with a doll (which are a little haunting, but mostly impressive), and the story has some interesting touches I hadn't read in any other retelling (e.g. Goldilocks leaves behind her prized shoes when she runs, and Baby Bear keeping them.  Good for there to be some consequence for the intruder, no?  HA!).  
Where's Wally Now? Martin Handford
Although we've worked our way through the I Spy and Can You See What I See series', this month was the first time we really tackled Wally (Waldo, for your Americans).  She was more than adequately prepared for the task, and thoroughly enjoys searching illustrations as well as she has photography.  I still remember where most things are from the first three books (and my childhood), but don't worry, I hold back, because I'm generous like that.

More round-ups:

Related Posts with Thumbnails