Thursday, April 4, 2013

Mini Movie Reviews: Bulk Hit No 27

This sum-up represents some of the films I have seen in the past year -- I've fallen that far behind in posting notes on each. It's been a year.  Hey, at least most of them are now available -- if you haven't seen them already -- at backlisted / weekly rates for hire.  Eh?  Ha.  Sorry.  Maybe these two bulk hits (more here) will still save you grabbing a title that'll turn out to be an ill-fit, or remind you of one you have been meaning to see that's slipped through the cracks.
 
The Host
When I read The Host a couple of years ago, I remember remarking to Haki, "Now that can never be a movie.  That shouldn't be a movie anyway."  Because the nature of the story would demand voice-overs or subtitles to articulate a central character's thoughts; because pages are filled with internal dialogue and arguments; and because I just didn't think it would translate well.  Then they announced Andrew Niccol (Gattaca) would direct.  I began to hope.  I should've stuck with my initial assessment.  Despite excellent casting all-round, it was awkward, awkward, awkward.  Bucketloads of thematic potential unrealised.  I think the only people who will find some enjoyment in this movie are already-fans prepared to forgive much to see material they've read realised on-screen. 

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
While I was wowed by the technical achievements of this film, I returned the DVD unfinished after two attempts to view it in its entirety ended with me asleep.  Haki fell asleep too.  This may reflect the stage of life we are in more than the film's quality, but I've stayed up for things I would've thought less entralling.  Any big fans out there think they can convince me it's worth renting a second time? 


The Avengers 
Fun, but soon forgotten.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
If you liked the first in this franchise (as I did), you'll most likely find this enjoyable too -- but for its particular brand on Holmes, not its story or tribute to the legend.
 
I don't know how she does it
Irritating.  All of the moderately amusing moments have been highlighted in the trailer, and any statement made about the compromise between motherhood and work is transmitted through a slapped together series of anecdotes that would have been better served in a more realistic film than a watered-down flick starring Sarah Jessica Parker.
New Year's Eve
So few ensemble movies impress, and this is one of the most meager offerings of the bunch presented in recent years.  It's just "meh."
How Do You Know
It should deliver more, given its cast, but it delivers just enough to satisfy expectations as a cheap rental rom com.
Breaking Dawn Part 2
I read them all, I've seen them all, and I don't particularly regret it, even if I've grown a little Twired.  Things I liked about this installment: a) They made Kristen Stewart look prettier.  I'm impressed. b) The modified ending, for readers that had Haki and I exchanging looks in the theatre.  Things I didn't like: CGI-babe.  /shudder
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
I left the cinema (a long time ago) content with my money spent.  But I did lament seeing so much added to a story that didn't need added to.  It was long.  Haki, a Tolkien buff, began to doze off.  Really.  The music was excellent, the casting was strong, and I will watch all three -- even if I feel as though I'm viewing glossy "Special Features" for LOTR instead of an adaptation of a children's story.

Life of Pi
We saw this in 3D in its early days, but like many of the others in this group, my mini-review is delayed.  Having read the book, I still enjoyed it.  Both are good. Well, the book is marvellous, the adaptation is good.  Yay for high school English teachers everywhere!

My time could have been better spent than watching...
Monte Carlo
Snow White and the Huntsman
Wrath of the Titans
What to Expect When You're Expecting

What do you think?  Agree, disagree?
Related Posts with Thumbnails