Monday, June 24, 2013

Mini Movie Reviews: Bulk Hit No 31

Jack Reacher
I think trailers mis-sold this film as an action pic, when it's more of a thriller.  Haki and I really enjoyed it.  It has some great one-liners, a touch of absurd humour, a story with some thought, and it packs a punch.  We forgave the self-conscious direction.  I smiled more than once at obvious tributes to film noir. Beware: violent content is included for shock value.  I'm not sure I'd welcome a franchise of Reacher films, but I didn't mind Cruise stepping into the role for this one (I'm quite certain I'd prefer the film to Lee Child's books). 
Silver Linings Playbook
Ick.  Maybe it is well-acted.  Maybe it helps to break the silence on mental illness.  Maybe maybe...but I can tell you it definitely has a butt-load of cussing (abour 75 f-bombs, according to Kids in Mind) and some disturbing imagery that led to me switching it off.  I'm still sorry I saw the things I did, and sorry I didn't get to the dancing because of it.

Hugo
Quite gorgeous.  And cast with talent galore.
Related Posts with Thumbnails