Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Delightful Arrangement

Every now and then, the neighbour's chickens find a new breach in the hedge between our properties.  Sometimes, this is a pain.  Namely, the times all six of them come over, poop all over the path, and then leave -- with only poop to mark their passing.  Poop that dapples the path, gets on my kids' shoes, in the car...

Anyhow, things have changed.

Oh, there are still occasional breaches...

Like now.  Now, a solitary black hen comes over, lays an egg (in the nest), and then makes a clucky retreat back to the home where she roosts, feeds, and does all the pooping.

I'm fine with it.

I'd go so far as to say I'm nurturing this arrangement, although I fear it may not last.  You see, the neighbour's young resident egg-collector is accustomed to following the hens to see where they lay, since they're free range.  And it being school holidays, it's only a matter of time before she realises blackie has returned to the site of the motherload.  This isn't the first time we've found eggs here, oho-no!  But this time, I'm gonna be smarter; I intend to collect that daily egg so promptly that there is nothing for neighbour-girl to find.  I will cross my fingers that she concludes blackie is simply exploring...and give up checking...but chances are, one of these days she will race here and find an egg (or me lifting one), before I can make the dash in and out after hearing that telling cluck.  I will most likely mouth-fart some defence about "fair tax for poop" before surrendering the loot with a hanging head.  Or maybe I'll just bite my lower lip before running inside, laughing maniacally.  Best option: be super-fast; blackie lays, I collect -- don't get caught.

Now...to work my schedule around this never-going-out-anywhere-plan...




Related Posts with Thumbnails