Saturday, October 19, 2013

Mini Movie Reviews: Bulk Hit No 37

 
After Earth
So-so.  Soz, Will.
The Paradise
Yes, you'll soon find these aren't all movie reviews in the sense of thoughts on motion pictures that went to cinema, but they're certainly all moving pictures!  Yes, the period drama kick isn't over.  The Paradise is glorious, friends, glorious.  I am in one kind reader's debt for introducing me to the splendour, humour and gripping love tale that is The Paradise.  I am giddy looking at that image and thinking back to scenes that thrilled me!  I'm dying for the second season!  Thank you, Johanna!  She also shared...

Wives and Daughters
Oh delight!  This mini-series features one of the best heroines I've ever watched on screen.  She is so likeable and unusual!  I LOVE her.  This is a great watch-alike for fans of Sense & Sensibility and Jane Eyre (it's somewhere in between, in terms of levity).  It's also Cinderella-esque.  /Singing: "Boooo-nus." 
Tess of the D'Ubervilles
Holy melancholy, batman!  Thomas Hardy's novel is a depression-fest, it turns out.  I hadn't read it, and so didn't know that I was in for worse than Dickens!  After the first two episodes of this four part mini-series adaptation, I tapped out.  The allure of that pretty face had me snatching up this DVD with eagerness (plus, it had featured on more than one "Best Period Dramas of All Time," lists.  Yes, I googled such, don't be surprised).  It is awful.  Awful, awful, awful.  Everything bad that can happen, does happen.  And it isn't a rise from the ashes sort of story -- don't think sticking it out will pay off.  It won't.  You see, my googling didn't end there.  I searched for spoilers to confirm my choice to quit it, and I warn you, it does not. get. cheerier.  There is no light at the end of the tunnel.  The tunnel is dark, dreary and utterly devastating.  She is very pretty.
Chicago
It only took me 11 years to see this.  /shrug   If you haven't seen it, I say forego renting it and watch these two clips (Clip 1 and Clip 2); they are great musical scenes (visually, and conceptually), and I think they're all you need to see.  You'll understand from both what the film is about, and you'll skip the stup' ending/moral and sultry sections.  YouTube for the win!
Related Posts with Thumbnails