Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Three books I should have read a long time ago

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/348225.These_Is_My_Words?from_search=true
These Is My Word, Nancy E. Turner
Oh, the rave reviews that have abounded about this book!  I know, many of you are thinking, "You are only just reading that now?!"  Welcome to the relevance of this post's title, and the three books to answer that rhetoric. 
  • This is historical fiction.  I know some of you lovely lot are into books based upon real life. Sometimes I am.  Knowing that some people lived like this only made this book harder for me, in places.  I mean, some of it is harrowing, peop's!  Har.row.ing.  
  • But the sweet moments charmed my pants off.  
  • So reading this was kind of like watching The Impossible, only with less tears and more horror, and the happiness is interspersed throughout instead of delivered after all is said and painfully done.  So you're getting the warning that this is hard going (hardest at the start), but let it be known it doesn't let up on the frontier.
  • The love story is grand.  And you hang in there for the promise of happiness.
  • Nancy E. Turner is smart.
  • I am not often fond of books in diary format, but Sarah Agnes Prine is a sensation.  So. so. funny.
  • I am glad I read it.
  • This is great pre-dental visit reading -- stamp out those first world problems a-flittin' about in yer brain reeeal good.
  • All in all, an excellent work...that I wouldn't care to reread, for the memory will suffice.  I already broke "harrowing" into three words, so I think you get it.  Keep in mind I threw extra full stops around in my descriptions of its humour as well.  There you have it -- quite the combo.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/225038.Half_Magic?from_search=tru
Half Magic, Edward Eager
Now this, m'dears, I will read again and again and again.  I'll read it to myself, again, I'll read it to my children, again, and then I'll read it to my grandchildren.  Half Magic is a Lewis-esque classic with lines I giggled out loud at.  How can two hours of reading be so darn magical?  Eager, you astound me.  I prefer this book to The Invention of Hugo Cabret.  It is lovely -- a word that sometimes sounds like you're settling for less than magnificence, but really, is a wonderful thing to achieve.  Free from offence, and a great read-aloud for your family collection.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6334.Never_Let_Me_Go?from_search=true
Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
Featured on the "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" list, along with multiple "Best Dystopian Fiction Books of All Time" selections, it's a wonder I didn't pick up Ishiguro's novel sooner.  If I did, perhaps I would have enjoyed it more.  Problem is, because I came to the party so late, I've got a lot of other "do's" to compare it too, and I must say, a certain party was better.  Now don't follow that link, just yet.  If you've already read Never Let Me Go, you can proceed without risk of spoiling the the novel, so go ahead.  But if you haven't yet read it, you're faced with a decision now; you can read Never Let Me Go, or a book I think deals with the same subject matter, better (and did it first).  Oh, the pickle.  Get a second opinion, maybe?  But from someone who won't reveal too much of the content of either...because both will be better for knowing less.  Oh wait, the stickers on the front of the other are a second opinion (it is a Newbery and Printz Honour book, for starters).  I think Never Let Me Go is going to be one of those rare cases of the movie was better than the book!  Once I've seen its adaptation, I'll let you know!  I suspect those overly fond of the novel are reading it as bonus features to a great film, and so it reads swimmingly, and they haven't read the better, richer cousin.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good, which is always an unfortunate sum-up.
Related Posts with Thumbnails