Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner, James Dashner
This book repeatedly reminded me of Lord of the Flies, only better.   Yes, I know that's not saying a lot, since I hated on LOTF.  I'll add this is much better. 
  • I compare it to LOTF because a micro-society of boys develop their own hierarchy and culture, on their own, and with dire consequences.  It's kind of LOTF meets Lost.
  • I would think most teenage boys would enjoy this novel.  I also think those who enjoy post-apocalyptic fiction and adventure with some suspense would enjoy it.  If the title sounds intriguing, and you like the genre, I think the less you read about it (including the back cover, and the adaptation synopsis on imdb), the better...as it plays out well going in knowing little (it did for me, anyway!)
  • It's intriguing; I looked forward to reading it and learning more.
  • The unusual, invented language creates a sense of crass realism without being offensive.
  • It has some funny moments.
  • It also has its flaws, weird similes, and a few things that are scarier unseen, but all in all, I thought it was a fun and compelling YA read.  It does feel YA.
  • That said, I feel done, after reading one book.  I may read some of the others later, but for now, I feel satisfied, and I'd like to leave it that way (I have it on good authority that's not how I'll feel after reading more). 
The film adaptation of The Maze Runner is due for release in September of this year...get your copy from the library before the holds queue is riddick. /wink 
Related Posts with Thumbnails