Friday, June 13, 2014

Picture Book Round-up: Caps, Klassen, Sleepy Poetry and Illustrated Litle House +



Caps for Sale, Esphyr Slobodkina 
This quirky book and its sequel (Circus Caps for Sale) are books I want to own (we borrowed them from our local library); the stories and  illustrations are timeless and engaging.  My girls enjoyed both as much as I did (for me, the first is slightly better).  I won't spoil the stories, just check these out and have your socks charmed off.
Ms McDonald Has a Class, Jan Ormerod
A dear friend gifted this book to Esky for her birthday. The overarching story is a case study of effective integrated teaching, and it had me thinking about the pros of conventional schooling!  It includes music you could play from, the option to sing or read, a class pet to spot, individual children to follow on each of their journeys (making it different each time you read it), and very clever language.   It is also made up of the kinds of illustrations children (and adults) love to take in and explore.
This is not my Hat, Jon Klassen
This book is a different kind of funny; I'm not sure Esky would have found it funny at all a year ago, but now? She gets it.  My dad picked it out when we visited the library together last and slid it my way, curious as to what I would think. 
Sleepy Places, Judy Hindley
We adore the way this verse rolls off of the tongue and its sweet and cheeky humour.  I also like the vocabulary it helps young readers to acquire.
20 Big Trucks on the Street, Mark Lee
Janssen flagged this title in one of her posts recently, and I sought it out from our local library as a result.  I love the modern illustration style and my girls lapped up the story.
My First Little House Books
I know some find these adaptations a tad slow or dull, but my girls love reading about the simple life and simple pleasures of a family with three little girls (surprise, surprise).  We get these out from our library by the stack-full.
The Toymaker and the Bird, Pamela Allen
So well-written, this moving tale reads like a fable, with a somber ending and a clear moral to discuss (and an abundance of interpretations and possible applications!)  Unlike some other stories with a poignant, sad note, this is one I am happy to read again and again.

More round-ups:
Picture Book Round-up: Books dealing with Grief, Being Different, Fear and Being a Bookworm + 
Picture Book Round-up: Collective Plurals, A Cat's Tale and an Ode to Feet
Picture Book Round-up: Dairy Farming, Noah and Dealing with Small-scale Destruction
Picture Book Round-up: Caps, Klassen, Sleepy Poetry and Illustrated Litle House +
Picture Book Round-up: Seasons Story, Ten in the Bed Follow-up, The Smartest Giant and a Vengeful Mole +
Books We're Loving: Duck Feet, Wally and Quirky Goldilocks +
Picture Book Round-up: Cool Carny Tale, 100-counter and More Blessed Shirley Hughes
Picture Book Round-up: Dat Pigeon, Integrated Pun-filled Art History, Individuality and Dragon Books +
Picture Book Round-up: Circus Ship, Fairytale Subversion, and a Tear-jerker
Picture Book Round-up: Fancy Nancy and Can You See What I See?
Picture Book Round-up: Potato People and I-Spy
Picture Book Round-up: A Classic, A Fun Abecediary, Yellow Propaganda, and a Darling Tuck-in Tale
Picture Book Round-up: Christmas Edition
Picture Book Round-up: Christmas Edition II

Related Posts with Thumbnails