***I love Mercy Thompson novels.
I love this Mercy Thompson novel (#8).
I love Mercy...
- A married heroine? A happily married heroine? With a step-daughter, even? And her own business? And magic? YES FREAKIN' PLEASE. When I settle back into a Mercy novel I always feel so happy to have escaped the teens for a while.
- And yet I don't find Briggs' novels offend my tastes the way adult fantasy novels are prone to do.
- Although...there is some sensuality in this novel. I think it is pretty tasteful (and it's always between a married couple).
- The conversations are so well-written.
- All characters matter.
- History and research enrich and lend authenticity to the narrative.
- As usual, the novel is a self-contained story (well, series of inter-woven stories), although there are references to things that have gone before, and I would always recommend reading them from 1-8...because why wouldn't you? See ***. I envy you if you have all those to look forward to. (I thought Books 1 and 2 were good, but I think it was at Book 3 that I knew I was seriously invested in the characters and would read every book Briggs' wrote in this world).
For: Fans of Urban Fantasy...at the very least.
One/two-liner summaries of Books 1-7 here.