Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Time Travel YA

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23352730-the-here-and-now
The Here and Now, Ann Brashares
Officially released today, The Here and Now, according to Teen Vogue, is "a gripping page turner about a girl who's willing to risk it all for love and the fate of the world."  That's a serious claim.  Author Ann Brashares wrote The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants.  I was interested in seeing how she'd do with a time travel tale.  Thoughts:
  • The writing deviates between okay and great -- with the odd whopper metaphor, simile, or moment.  Other times, it's a tad akward.
  • It presents a very done concept, but there's still some fun here.  Around halfway I was hoping very hard it was a standalone novel.  It is.  /wiping brow
  • It has bursts of being preachy ("Take care of the planet, or else").
  • There are some inconsistencies in the story, holes in the mechanics, and moments that are too convenient.  Perhaps the author is holding back on supplementary explanations to avoid swamping the reader?  I think she could have afforded to explain a few more things. 
  • There is instalove.  And a disappointing amount of interest in getting laid. 
  • We are told our protag is bright, but I found little evidence to support this. 
  • I was still very interested in seeing what would happen and at no point considered quitting.
Overall:  I didn't at all feel my time had been wasted, in reading this, but I fear in about a year I will be very vague about what actually happens in this book.


Related Posts with Thumbnails