Monday, April 6, 2015

(Guilty Pleasure) Teen Romance Trilogy

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10121801-shiver-trilogy-boxset?from_search=true
I went into these books knowing nothing, and that cold start was rewarded with instant, bold action.  I recommend going in cold.  I think the more you know, the more you anticipate and compare.  So I'm not going to tell you more about what these are about, and I recommend you skip the blurbage...but know that this is subject matter that has been done, but I was happy to revisit this sub-genre, with a new swing on things.  I liked this swing. 

Shiver, Maggie Stiefvater
  • I'm a sucker for romance, and I even overlooked a variation of insta-love to enjoy this one.
  • There's fun dialogue.
  • If you thought the Twilight series was lame, you should probably skip this.
  • I found the initial first-person protagonist funny and independent, and warmed to each perspective I was granted access to.  
  • Sex is alluded to and teenagers are participants.   I think language, substance use and violence are treated with care (and painted as unappealing, unfortunate or unattractive).
  • But there is also some intense, disturbing content.  I'd go with "Much older YA" on this one, or just read it for entertainment as an adult, to be safe. 
Linger, Maggie Stiefvater
  • New voices emerge, and I was equally interested in each -- surprisingly!
  • The intense, disturbing dark stuff continues to feature not only as part of the narrative, but becomes an essential motif.
  • I found some parts of the sequel thought-provoking.  I think Book 2 tops 1!  The writing gets stronger too, I believe!
  • I also found it so easy to read, and wanted to read more each night.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed the relationship development (multiple relationships' development!), the dialogue, and pacing.  
  • At first I feared the idea was being stretched a little too much, but then I settled into it and loved that the world was really being tested and fleshed out; it felt more like maximizing its potential, in the end.
  • There's definitely some cheese here, but this was made okay by being delivered by a writing style I found fun to eat up. 
Forever, Maggie Stiefvater
  • This was a great wrap up.  I wouldn't say each book topped the previous one, but I think it was on par with Linger.
  • I cared about the characters and was highly entertained.  Some classy, eloquently-written stuff I've read lately lacked this fundamental lure!
  • Fun fun fun.
  • I still recommend this for older YA...or better yet, adults who enjoy a teen romance now and then.
So, this will divide you lovelies, I know.  If you consider "cheese, Twilight and teen love" flags of ill-boding, I'm surprised you're still reading this review.  If, you however, feel a nostalgic pull towards a dose of those three...step. right. up.


Related Posts with Thumbnails