Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Aurora


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25097691-aurora

Aurora, Kim Stanley Robinson
The blurbage for Aurora sounds much like the premise of the film, Interstellar -- both focus on inter-connectivity, the search for a home to replace earth, and a character-defining voyage and arrival in space. Yet these two tales are very different.

Aurora reads like a hard sci fi classic -- a classic unafraid to dive into dense scientific exposition, jargon and world-building.  I love starships as much as the next girl (okay, more, you got me! /hands held up in surrender), but sadly, I am also often an impatient reader.

Stanley's careful, experienced voice calls for a level of patience and attentiveness I can't always promise I'll bring to an end-of-parenting-work-day.  I had to restart the novel twice, for this reason, and struggled to become engaged in it.

If you are a patient, and have a Love of the Science, these are the things I think you'll be pleased to find in Aurora:
  • Honest human moments strung together in amidst all of the science and larger questions (and answers) about humanity.
  • Great protagonist growth.
  • Plenty of detail.
You may find a little lacking in:
  • Supporting characters' characterisation.
  • Pacing (which sadly, is a clincher for me, in this chapter of my life).
Overall: This novel is most likely a case of the right novel at the wrong time.  If you are already a KSR fan, or if a slow, detailed SF read (that is less Space Cowboys and more Plausible Physics, Biology, Population Science) sounds just like you, then proceed with eagerness.


Review copy received from Hachette.  Available in bookstores today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails