Friday, November 27, 2015

Another Sci Fi Fairytale Retelling

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16067008-stitching-snow
Stitching Snow, R. C. Lewis
Yes, this has a lot in common with The Lunar Chronicles (a fairytale princess mechanic with hidden gifts in a future in which she needs to reclaim her throne -- sound familiar?).  Who cares?  This is Lewis' baby, it is a different voice and story nonetheless, and I enjoyed it;
  • I really wanted to find out what happened and enjoyed reading.
  • I dug the love story.  Even if I was told to see chivalry instead of allowing the showing to speak for itself, I was invested.
  • I loved the clean language.
  • I didn't like the robot names at. all.  In fact, they peeved me so much I almost closed the book thinking, "Someone who chooses names I dislike this much is going to make other choices I dislike.  I need to get out of here."  Their names?  Dimwit, Whirligig, Clank, Clunk, Zippy and Ticktock.  /gag.  I found these choices especially odd given the fact this story includes some heavy, mature content (including incest), and yet these drone names sound like bubble gum, junior school names.  I hear them being said in an American accent...any accent in my head, and I cringe.  Granted, I did just step out of Cinder's world where androids have names like Iko and Nainsi (/swoon), but this new ensemble was so far from my taste it disrupted the flow of the story.  Similarly, "body-hopping" (a story feature) sounds like a dance move instead of something epic and cool (but it is epic and cool).  So the ideas are great...the terminology...not for me.  It read like snippets of sci fi for babies in amongst strong YA content.  Very young readers might find such names appealing, but very young readers shouldn't be reading about sexual assault.  
  • I think the politics were well explained and genuinely interesting.  I actually could have done with more of that -- which isn't how I usually feel.  It all read like a good conspiracy instead of painful historical recount. 
  • Do you find it funny when there's a word that keeps on cropping up in a book?  I do.  In Partials, it was kudzuKudzu is not a common enough word for me to read it quickly and go, "Oh yeah, that's a word you need to use a lot."  Because is a word you need to use a lot.  You don't notice it when you use it a lot, because it's justified.  See, I did it again.  In this book, the hot-word was "unhinged."  Maybe Lewis is lumping this term in with her other future vernacular e.g. "blazing" and "tanked." Even so, if I noticed, maybe it's too many times.  Um...easily done.  Books are long and have a lot of words.  Just saying -- noticed it -- did you? 
Overall: good.  Not great, but fun and engaging.



Related Posts with Thumbnails