Thursday, November 12, 2015

Canavan's Latest Series: Book 2

Angel of Storms, Trude Canavan
Out now!  I initially found this adult fantasy sequel even stronger than Thief's Magic;
  • I re-read the first book in the trilogy in preparation for reading this.  The re-read reminded me how much I care about these characters!*
  • There is less unpleasant sexual content than Book 1, thankfully (Book 1 has a lot of sexual references).
  • I love the new magic system.  I'm converted.
  • The over-arching intrigue of Book 1 is fully explored in Book 2, which is very satisfying. 
  • Canavan is a master world-builder.  What she does does with this narrative allows her to spread her wings and take flight...again and again.  That's delicious for the first half of the novel.  But then when she continues to take flight again and again in the second-half, I grew weary of it.  I was done with world-building; I wanted to settle down some.
  • The final quarter of the book really dragged for me.  I wanted it to be over.  *I even lost a lot of my interest in what happened to the characters.
  • I was very happy with the very ending played out
  • I feel like the "homosexual surprise" device has been used in too many of her books (on the small scale especially) -- you know, protag meets two characters and then learns they are in a relationship different to friendship; "Oh, homosexuals exist in this world -- surprise!"  I feel like it revealed in every Canavan book almost exactly the same way.
Overall:  Canavan's world-building and magic system is so strong; fans of Canavan will find what they're looking for, I'm sure.  But if, like me, you're accustomed to YA novels a third of this size, you may find the slower second half of the narrative drags (I think a lot of what takes place from half-way to three-quarters of the way could have been reduced so the essential last quarter did not drag).  But I'm sure Canavan would fight for every word!  Hahaha.  Fair enough!  What a huge accomplishment of a book.

Review copy received from Hachette.
Related Posts with Thumbnails