Monday, January 18, 2016

Ivy approaches 5

 
Ivy is almost five years old.
  • She doesn't always tune in to what is being said, but if she does hear you, and internalise what you say, she will remember and recite what you have said (very precisely) for a very long time. 
  • She can entertain herself with very little for a long time.  Outside?  She can walk around singing and talking to herself for an hour without the slightest complaint.  With a single toy on her own, the same.
  • She is the least attached to her stuffed toys though.  She is the most hesitant to part with toys (even those she doesn't play with), but she isn't that fussed about sleeping with "a friend" or taking one in the car for fun. She often shrugs and passes her dolls to Mia.
  • She does have toys she plays with more than the others though.  She had a long phase with a plastic dragon figurine she named Lingli.  She does a deep gurgling purr in her throat for his voice.  It's something else.
  • She fixates on things.  If she wants something badly, is looking forward to an event, or was hurt by something, it is hard for her to hear anything else until she has dealt with the thing that is paramount.  This contributes to her tendency to be stubborn.
  • She's a reporter.  Esky creates action, Ivy reports it, and Mia cheers on the party she deems most worthy.  It is irrelevant to Ivy if you are already aware of the information she is reporting.  
  • She has been praying for Jesus to "come and see us soon" on and off for months.  It is so sincere.
  • Ivy compliments.  Everyone.  It makes me do my happy-pain smile.
  • She's into rainbows.  She's known their colour order for more than half a year and is very serious about that order.  She has such a distinct colouring and drawing style.  I love it.
  • She stands or leans into people when she tells them stories and really works her mouth.  She talks loud, and isn't always aware if she has her audience.  We're working on that.
  • She cracks me up.  During Primary (at church), she'll put her hand up to announce our family is going swimming the next day or a birthday is on such-and-such a day.  Today Haki was reading her a book about mermaids, pixies and dolphins.  The mermaid gives the pixie "dainty sea kelp biscuits" for a journey he is to make.  Ivy said, "Oooo, someday I'm going to have some of those!"  Haki laughed and said, "I'll see if I can rustle some of those up for your birthday."  Ivy: "Don't forget!  It's April 12th!"   //  She often announces: "I'm already asleep."  // When I told her, "You give good hugs" she replied, "That's because I have hugness inside me."  // A long time after going to bed, when I find her laying awake in bed (legs in the air, stirring the air), I sometimes ask why she hasn't fallen asleep.  Twice she has told me it is because "My night mouth isn't here yet."  *blink blink.*  The other night she yawned and then said, "It's here!" so I assume that was her night mouth arriving. // When we  occasionally come home after dark, she calls out, "A school of lights!" when she catches a view of cityscape.  Poetic! // One day on the way to church she said, "I wish the whole world was a park.  Well, except the sky." 
  • She often gives things really abstract names (unless being influenced by her solid, descriptor-naming big sister).  I love it.  She also invents words and uses them with such confidence I question whether I just don't know the word she's using yet.  I sometimes assume she's misheard a word and is doing her best at it, but that's not it -- she really does invent, and often.  She asked me three weeks ago, "Can I please go to the Thankon?" I asked her what it was.  "I don't know."  I could not, no matter how I tried, ascertain what she might have heard that sounded like "thankon" that she wanted to go to.
  • Ivy retells her vivid dream details about a creature called "Sardinebugs" with such confidence I googled the things.  I was beginning to doubt this could all be her free-associating subconscious.  Surely it was a Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs gag I missed or...something.  Nope.  All Ivy.  Sardinebugs eat spiders and dragons.  When I said, "Not humans.  Well that's good," she replied, "No, they dig into humans and the skin never grows back."  She didn't flinch one bit.  She might has well have preceded her explanation by saying "Fact:", for the tone she used.  Sardinebugs reportedly look like flies without wings, so look out guys.  
  • On New Year's Day, we went to the beach and playground as a family.  Kites were tacked to the ground and flying in formation, the sun was shining, and Ivy felt moved to skip.  She would make her way up the steep embankment (instead of the sealed path), then skip at speed down the path with her arms moving in dance-like, fluid waves as she went.  Repeat, repeat.  It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen in my life.

Admiring her new dolphin on Christmas morn.



Riding the hobby horse with a toi toi whip.  Esky does not approve of whips, even on pretend horses.  Ivy uses them in spite of her sister's protestations.
Related Posts with Thumbnails