Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Delightful Dot-to-dot Super-book

http://www.bookdepository.com/1000-Dot--Dot-Wonders-of-the-World-THOMAS-PAVITTE/9781626866683?ref=grid-view
The 1000 Dot-to-Dot Book: Wonders of the World, Thomas Pavitte
Forget "sophisticated" colouring books, the advanced dot-to-dot book has arrived!  Okay, don't forget those colouring books, they are also wonderful, but these...these are something magical and next level.
Pavitte has been releasing 1000 dot-to-dot books for years, but this is the first I've owned, and I'm smitten.  Our copy of his latest puzzle book is prized by the whole family; Haki pored over the index page (a great inclusion) and I've called dibs on Stonehenge and the Colosseum. Today Esky has been working on recreating a line drawing masterpiece of the Taj Mahal.

As a homeschooling parent, I love talking with Esky about each iconic landmark as she is absorbed in advanced counting and hand-eye control.  Producing this piece of artwork (because they are very cool to hang up, upon completion) while I talk about its history, significance, construction and location seems like a perfect plug-in-and-go lesson to me!

Esky had barely begun when I took this picture...and I like that by including this shot I'm allowing there to be an element of surprise for you, should you choose to purchase this book and see your own creation come together.  So only follow >>this link<< if you want spoilers.  It'll take you to a video sharing a few selections from Pavitte's latest collection of puzzles filling in on high speed.  It's fun to watch.


I think a 1000 Dot-to-Dot book would be a stellar gift for children and adults alike.  Esky is 7, and she's managing this.  And there are so many more books full of these delights!

Other things I love about it:
  • The pages are perforated so you can easily pull them out to work on them, and display.
  • The style of the finished images is so rad -- it isn't just outlining, there is rendering suggested by the lines.
  • The book is so big! Seriously oversize.  Wahoo!
Review copy received from Hachette.
Related Posts with Thumbnails