Friday, July 29, 2016

Consumer Future Book: More Westerfeld

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24763.So_Yesterday?from_search=true
So Yesterday, Scott Westerfeld
This novel was ahead of its time.  MARTians is a good readalike comparison, although Woolston's work is darker.  I thought Westerfeld's Uglies series was pretty good (not amazing), but easy to read and entertaining.  I found this a little smarter, and...
  • I loved the humour.
  • I wish I had read it when it came out, I think I would have liked it a lot more then...but I was knee-deep in Uni lit.  The consumerism analysis is good now, but I think I would have found it great then.
  • There are some excellent ideas that reoccur in the story and some surprisingly well-executed tangents.
  • The pacing was fairly steady until the climax, when I felt shortchanged.  It wasn't a fizzle, but I felt like I wanted more.
  • I didn't care enough about the peripheral characters; they felt like clutter.  The main ones though?  Good.
Overall, fun enough. 


Related Posts with Thumbnails