Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The Land of Nod

The Land of Nod, Robert Louis Stevenson and Robert Hunter
The matte finish and muted palette of this cover really draws me in.  The stars on the hardback edition shine in silver contrast.  The poly-chromatic illustration style makes me feel like I've come upon a classic from a bygone era.  When I asked my girls, "What do you like about this book?" they all said "The illustrations!"  I'm in complete agreement.  I would keep this if it was without text, the illustrations are that good.  The text is a fairly simple four stanza poem (featuring a hanging half-rhymne) which didn't knock my socks off...but it didn't detract either.  The story shares elements with a number of other dream-books (I've even read a few with toys as dream-stars), but again, the illustrations.  If this appeals to you visually...
...you should move on this one.  (Isn't it gorgeous?!)

Review copy received from Walker.



Related Posts with Thumbnails