Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Giving Maisy a Chance

Maisy Goes to the Bookshop, Lucy Cousins
I've mentioned before, I'm not a big Maisy fan.  I find the brights and bolds lend themselves well to a few subjects, but an anthropomorphic mouse and the style combined have never drawn me in.  But April's promo box from Walker contained "A Maisy First Experiences Book." I gave it a fair shot.  The girls thought it was nice, but they didn't ask for it again...perhaps they detected my lack of enthusiasm.  I think a risk with modelling / representing a first experience is that the things that aren't universal jump out at you so quickly...such as how Maisy's bookshop visit features an in-shop café (something not possibly in any bookshop in our city).  Ivy is a fan of books with a narrative (rather than poems, lists, or rhymes for rhymes sake), so this ticks that box.  If you're already a Maisy fan, you'll be delighted by this series, I'm sure (out April 1), but if you, like me, have never felt called to them previously this probably won't change your tune either. 
Related Posts with Thumbnails