Thursday, March 9, 2017

Rock Pool Secrets

Rock Pool Secrets, Narelle Oliver
Oliver's linocuts steal the show in this little treasure.  It's a lovely touch to see the flaps are cut along the edges of features within each illustration, making them a seamless part of the scene -- one of my favourite details.  My older girls were hoping for a challenge in finding the secrets within the pictured rock pools (the text suggests it might be), but agreed even though it was "easy for them" they appreciated the effect of each creature visually belonging to its home.  For me, the greatest disappointment in reading this book (and others like it -- although none can match on artwork!) is that I'm yet to find a rock pool in New Zealand that boasts the diversity and life I find in its pages!

Review copy received from Walker.
Related Posts with Thumbnails