Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Orbiting Jupiter


Orbiting Jupiter, Gary D. Schmidt
Wow.  After feeling starved for contemporary YA stories that tackle hard topics without including graphic (and for me, "too much") content, I found my craving seriously satiated in Schmidt! 
  • Great characters.
  • Touching details.
  • He breaks the fourth wall again, and I love it.
  • No swearing.
  • Tasteful references to sexuality and violence, often even profound subtlety (references I think that would even be missed by younger readers, sparing them from anything they're unprepared for).
  • Not a romance or guilty pleasure read. 
I can't say much more without spoiling it.  If you're thinking about reading this, PLEASE, don't read the blurb (it says too much!), and dive in.
I love this book.  Will buy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails